How to Apply
Applications are open for Autumn 2023 admission. Please plan to attend one or more Admission Events before beginning your application.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact us.
Once submitted, applications cannot be edited. Applications typically open in October, but we recommend taking the full allowed time to submit your application so that your materials are as current and accurate as possible.
|APPLICATION DEADLINE||DECISION BY||ELIGIBILITY|
|Feb 1, 11:59 pm||March 31||All applicants|
|March 31, 11:59 pm||May 1||All applicants|
- Determine your eligibility for admission to a UW graduate program on the UW Grad School website
- Previous professional experience is welcome but is not required. The program has classes and opportunities for students with and without work experience.
- Communication Leadership does not require GRE or GMAT scores from applicants. Please do not have GRE or GMAT scores sent as they will not be considered.
- Decide which degree you wish to pursue – the MCDM, MCCN or MCCL. You may only apply to one degree – do not submit multiple applications!
- Create your applicant profile with the UW Graduate School.
- Begin your application – be sure to select Graduate as the application type and select the correct year.
- Designate your recommenders within the application and order official test scores (if necessary) a minimum of two weeks prior to the application deadline.
- If applying for an application fee waiver, submit your completed application a minimum of 7 days before the application deadline.
- Complete all required portions of the application and submit by 11:59pm PT on the deadline.
The full admissions application is online on the Graduate School website. When you complete it, you will be required to upload the following:
Unofficial transcripts of previous college or university work
Names and emails of three academic or professional references who can provide your recommendations electronically
Current resume or CV
Written personal statement that tells us in 500 words or fewer:
- How your chosen degree program will specifically help you advance toward your professional goals and why you are a good match for the program.
- We value clear, well-organized, carefully argued writing as this statement will serve as a writing sample
A video that in 90 seconds or less lets us hear you:
- Tell us one story from your life that illustrates your desire to join our program.
- We are not evaluating production quality at all – we just need to be able to hear and see you- so please record in one take without editing. We are simply interested in hearing you articulate your story.
Non-native English speakers: Evidence of proficiency in English.
Only complete applications will be considered. Applications that are missing any required elements by the deadline will be considered incomplete and will be denied. It is your responsibility to ensure that all required materials are submitted successfully. You can monitor completion on your Application Status page.
Please designate recommenders within the online application and request English proficiency test scores (if required) a minimum of two weeks before the application deadline, to ensure they arrive in time. The application due dates are completion deadlines.
All denials from both rounds are final. Students that are placed on an official waitlist will be notified by email about their status and next steps.
Please do not submit any materials directly to the Department of Communication or the Graduate School. Only materials submitted through the online application will be accepted and reviewed. Please follow the instructions on Graduate School Memo 8 to report official English proficiency test scores
Taking a Course without Applying
If you’re not seeking a degree now, but might want to later, you may be able to take up to 10 credits under the “graduate non-matriculated” status. Under this status you are still required to meet the Graduate School’s minimum eligibility requirements.
Competitive graduate non-matriculated students will be admitted on a space-available basis. Applications are submitted via the Graduate School website, and are due one month prior to the quarter’s start date.